Re: R: livelooping articles for a guitar magazine

Congrats, Michael.
This is a good chance for "looping" (as a concept or a technique), to get some exposition.

2011/5/29 andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
..and Riley's was a live performance technique.

This is a third perspective about what looping is:
1. as an instrument
2. as a sampler
3. as a "compositional/performative" method

This approach is common to Rilley, Reich, Glen Branca and lot of other minimalism pioneers.

Glen Branca wrote a lot of "looped" music for electric guitars

Not a living mainstream guitarist..., but La Monte Young deserve to be quoted in your "first chapter" IMO, as he used tape delay in 1963, manipulating, with Riley, Chet Baker playing trumpet.

Adrian Belew - maybe a guitarist "not for the masses" - had played with tons of rock guru (zappa, talking heads, paul simon...), as you know, and is nowadays using Mobius made by our J. Larson (good to quote LD). Some new vids were recently posted to the list or on FB.

Just a reminder..I'm sure you just thought about it: I'd suggest to quote
- Matthias and Jeff as the "master creators" of today looping hw/sw
- André La Fosse need to be mentioned as he has really found a new sound thanks to the echoplex
- ..yes...Bill also deserves to be quoted.

I can't think of new "mainstream" artists using live looping in an extensive way: Arve Henriksen (Supersilent, David Sylvian) is a young trumpeter using a DL4 is the one I can think of...

-fabio
www.eterogeneo.com