Re: Echoloop VST MIDI controller

On Mar 4, 2012, at 1:54 PM, andy butler wrote:

> Phil Clevenger wrote:
>> Andy,
>> Yes, of course in the latest version of the plug-in both the Quant
>> state and the Subcycles params are available to the host as plug-in
>> params and accessible in the Ableton "MIDI learn" state.
>
> well if we're talking Ableton and the dreaded "midi learn" I dunnow ;-)

Nothing dreadful about MIDI learn in Ableton except that one is limited to
params that are visible in the UI (made available to the host).

> Really, all a vst host has to do is pass midi directly to a plugin,
> then the user can do anything they want by configuring their midi
> controller.
> There's a number of host developers out there who are set against this
> however.
>
> If I get time I'll have a good look at Ableton and how to run
> Echoloop it...but I'm sure it worked easily in an earlier
> version of Ableton...without touching "midi learn" at all.

My impression was that the direct MIDI commands I was looking for were
just not available (used to get them through various combos of virtual
buttons on the EDP), so the missing params were made available in this
latest version of Echoloop. And they work great, as far as they go :)

>> Only a single instance of the Sybcycle param is available,
>
> strange indeed...Ableton weirdness ??

Maybe, or maybe not. Nothing illogical or buggy about the way it works, it
just can't do what I am seeking to do :)

> It's possible there's simply a bug in the Echoloop.
> I don't have time to check, but it should be possible to use different
> midi Channels.
> If it isn't, then Matt will sort it.
>
> Would it all start working for you if this is the case?

I'm just trying to approximate the old EDP workflow of saving  quantize
settings into presets, then recalling those presets on the fly. So direct
MIDI access to presets in the preset bank would work. Even better, direct
MIDI commands for the more common sybcycle values such as 4, 8, 16, 32,
etc, would be absolutely perfect :)

Phil :)

ps thanks for a fun geek-out Sunday :D