Re: Looping and Mixing/Mixing Loops

Highly relevant thoughts, Philip! Mixing and live looping is closely
related, but still very different in praxis.

My concept for live looping is what I use to call "the musician
concept". For sound design I use what I call "the reverse engineered
mixing technique". What I mean with this is that I apply everything to
my live instrument input sound that you in a mixing situation would
apply to each of the tracks to be mixed. EQ, effects, compression,
even effect loops with the return channel side-chained by the live
input (my instrument). Many effects are quite subtle and dynamic
processing often synced to the looping tempo. The theory is to make
your instrument sound in a way that works well for layering. I
typically do all this to my instrument signal PRE loop, so every layer
I overdub into a loop may have different effects in order to blend
well as a multi layered loop.

There is also different concept for live looping that I use to call
"the re-remix concept". Many Ableton Live users fancy this concept
because Live allows you to treat separate parallel loops individually;
running each looper channel through its own mixer channel. This is
exactly how you do when mixing and you can achieve sonic perfection.
One records loops at different channels and then apply effects and
processing POST loop. My problem with this method is that it takes
quite a lot of time to get it to sound good any by the birth of your
masterpiece the audience might have gone home.

An important aspect of my "musician concept" is that when looping the
already perfected sound into just one or a few loops you are keeping
all options at hand for drastic rearranging on-the-fly as you perform.
For example, it is much easier to keep the show going when putting one
multi part loop into half-speed compared to putting five separate
parts loops into half-speed.

Of course, with my musician's concept reverse-engineered mixing
technique your strategy is crucial. It is possible to paint yourself
stuck into a corner. When that happens the only way out is to kick
Global Reset and start over from square one - if done as one move
while the music is going the audience will just hear it as a
break-down section or similar. Most important for my performance
strategy is to instantly tag musical parts to decide what kind of loop
I'll layer them into. These are the types of loops I have chosen to
work with:

1. Tonal loops that can be speed shifted, in order to create chord
changes, without too much rhythmic hassle. Often pad type sounding. If
using a polyphonic instrument I can create such a loop by just playing
a chord and record it, but if using a monophonic instrument I use to
overdub many notes to form a chord.

2. Atonal loops with percussive content. These loops are not being
speed shifted when I improvise chord changes by speed shifting a type
#1 loop.

3. Loops created for the purpose of poly rhythmic interaction with
another loop. Such a loop plays by a different length than the one it
plays against.

The above is the corner stones of my instant composing technique.

As for the noise issue you brought up I'm all for shutting up when not
playing and muting the input between played notes. On my Stratocaster
I play with the volume knob. You can mute between fourth notes using
the pinky on that knob. When using wind instruments and a mic I have a
volume pedal directly after the mic to mute the leaking PA sound from
getting into the loops. I even use this volume pedal for note attack
sometimes, when playing heavily distorted flute it is a must and part
of the instrument.

When playing an instrument with several audio signals I always keep
all inputs going plus all effect returns going to the looper,
following the what-you-hear-is-what-you-loop routine. Everything in my
live looping rig is set up for instant performance access. Everything
is PRE looper. The stereo looper output is totally dry, just with a
little compression added to make it groove better. The reverb and
delay effects heard are all recorded into loops. This makes it
possible for me to apply drastic on-the-fly cutting to the full mix, I
can play the mix instantly like you play an instrument, that's why I
call it "a musician based concept".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com