Re: Flying with a guitar... or not

In my experience, it depends on both the carrier and the actual plane
you're flying.  Check you carrier's policy regarding musical
instruments and book a flight on the biggest plane you can get.  I
like to fly with Air Canada, because their policy is let me carry my
instrument on board if it fits in the overhead bin.  My trombone
always fit in the overhead bin of the airbus 319 or 320, so that's
what I'm flying on when I go to Santa Cruz later this year.  Last week
I flew to Moncton and back to Ottawa on a small regional jet.  My horn
did not fit in the overhead bin and I could only slide it partly under
the seat in front of me (and side ways, taking room away from my
fellow traveler).  The flight attendant didn't even mention it on both
flights.  Getting on the good side of the flight crew can save your
ass...

My advice is to pack your smallest guitar in the smallest and
strongest case you can find and book a flight on the biggest plane you
can get.  Plan to take it on board as carry-on and be prepared to
gate-check if necessary.  Most damage occurs when the instrument moves
around inside the case (or other objects move within the case, banging
on the instrument).  Remove everything but the instrument from the
case and secure it with packing foam or bubble wrap.

Never check your instrument.  They will destroy it (as we've already
heard, the most likely scenario is a TSA agent screwing up your
packing).  Always carry-on or gate-check.  If you must check your
instrument, insist on being present when the TSA opens the case (this
is in accordance with their policy:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm )

Sylvain