Re: Re: City Lights Music Festival and its comparison to a loop fest

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> It takes skill to be a DJ and mad skills to be one of the best in the
> class
> of performers..........but I agree with Matt when he says that 90% of all
> DJs are NOT composers,  that they are merely cleverly manipulating music
> that has already been composed and recorded......and almost invariably
> (though there are rare exception) they are NOT playing music
> that they even created themselves.

I think I can chime in to add a little more here regarding the real
skills of real DJ's. When I was playing with an artist trio under
major a record deal our record label used to hire very good folks to
make remixes of our tracks. I think I collaborated with at least a
dozen such craftsmen during that period, both DJ based and
musician/music engineering based remixers. What I noticed with the
remixer that came from the DJ world was that they often had a more
accurate image of the details in the music, the emotional mood and of
course the groove. The typical workflow was to have a musician type
team mix the album (these guys tend to be better at layering sounds to
create an evol-sounding-wall) and then hand over tracks to DJ type
producers for hackomg it up and re-use just certain parts. Their skill
in choosing what snippets to sample and re-use is excellent! I guess
that is because their hearing is not "dumbed down" by knowing how the
sounds were played in the first place on instruments etc. A vocal line
with treble-smacking-lips or a hi-hat pattern are just similar type of
sounds to their ears.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com