From: Philip [mailto:philip.ojc@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:06 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Repetition

I think the concept of repetition = boring is mistaken. Repetition defines
the human (and most other forms of life) existence. Heartbeats, breaths,
days and nights, waking and sleeping, work, recreation,
procreation...everything we do--even the fun stuff--is repetitive.

People rarely complain that it is boring to breathe or that night and day
is
monotonous. Perhaps that is due to the fact that we perceive developments
or
a purpose or a desired end makes the repetition meaningful.

I enjoy listening to repetitive loops because I can usually expect that the
performer will be adding a bit here and there and/or is ultimately working
toward some kind of goal or an ending.

If a performer just looped the same bar over and over, it would be boring
me. Even a complex one--as soon as I got my head around it, I would be
wanting and waiting for them to work with it or develop it in some way or
another.

...my $.02