Re: OT Studio (Was Re: interesting controller )

First, sorry about my email last night.  The language just didn't feel right.  Didn't feel friendly enough.  My wife walked in while I was writing and I hurried to get it done.

Yea, I have one big room now and working on two more.  Current iso room is 13X29.  Going to add the back room of the studio this summer - which is ROUGHLY 29X29 and then a vocal/amp room (also my library) which is ROUGHLY 12X12.  I really love the 12' ceilings.

The back room, if all works as planned, will also be a place where we can hold small concerts.  Don't know yet, but I think it could hold maybe 40-50 people and a small stage.  I want to tie it to the studio so I can record performances there.

The current iso room is more suited to amps, acoustic guitars, small ensembles.  Truth is, I hate recording drums and usually take drum sessions elsewhere... but when the big room is done I might try to work up the courage to try drums again.

All construction has slowed a bit because I have a torn rotator cuff.

There's a photo of the current iso room in this slide show here
http://www.glasswing.com/glasswingstudiod.html

It's funky, but sounds great.

Vienna Ensemble Pro should be easy and would probably be easy for you.  Intelligence helps! But the manual has a lot of holes in it.  Fortunately Paul, the support guy, is very good, very patient.  I find, in general, German companies make really great software and write very thin manuals.  But then, Spectrasonics' manual is nothing to write home about either.  Thank heaven for www.groove3.com!

I've read of a lot of guys who use VEP to extend the life of older computers.  The 64 bit business is cool as shit (Pro Tools is still 32 bit).  I have Ivory, Trilian, Slate Platinum and Vienna Epic Orchestra running there and it's hardly breaking a RAM/CPU sweat.

28 gigs of RAM on the Vienna Ensemble Pro machine.  32 on the new one.  I now think that's sort of overkill.

I haven't, and I suspect because Avid hasn't, ironed all the bugs out of Pro Tools 10.3 and Mountain Lion yet.

Damn!  I've never even heard of LASS and Albino 3 Iceni.  I'll do some homework on that today.  I've heard Reaper can be good for doing the Master/Slave machine setup too.

Not doing much looping lately, but I still read EVERY looper email daily.  Great info.  Smart guys.

Thanks Ted, Per

Richard
www.glasswing.com