Re: WHAT WERE WE DOING, MUSICALLY BEFORE WE LOOPED?

I discovered looping while I was still in high school, so I don't have
a lot to go before it. I started out as a bass player, in a couple
garage bands. I really wanted to become a virtuosic bass player like
Geddy Lee, Chris Squire or Les Claypool. I discovered avant-garde
music through a class in high school about 20th century art and music.
I put out a tape of experiments that same year, and it was awful.
(Think: bass soloing over a cd of sound fx on shuffle play, or singing
"monkily" through lots of echoes.) Then I saw a local band in which
the cello player had a looper and it blew me away. I saved up for a
few months at $4.50 an hour to get my first DOD DFX-94 pedal. A few
months later, I got my first 4-track cassette recorder, which was just
as important. By 1996 I had so much fun looping different things that
I barely played bass at all anymore.

In other news: there's been a great Trent Reznor parody going around
the internet posted at:
https://soundcloud.com/fredscott-1/this-is-a-trent-reznor-song
(Spoiler: the chorus sounds exactly like the first song on the new album.)

I wonder how many others recorded Nine Inch Nails parodies at some
point. I know of a few. Here's one I recorded back in 1999. (I'll take
it down in a few days, since it's a little silly.)
"Angel Scabs":
https://soundcloud.com/matt-davignon/the-electric-fiends-angel

--
Matt Davignon