Re: Loop effects: Can software be as good as good hardware?

I think you can get too close for comfort, Mark.  This is why I replaced
my
15 space rack (which I had two years ago) with a laptop, and spend over
$1000 on some really good VST effect software. . I've never owned an
Eclipse, but I've owned other high end processors, and I can't tell a lot
of
differentce in the quality of effects between the hardware and software
(with a good 24 bit audio interface). It is so close for me that I am
mostly
software now.

I have two things that should be shipped to my doorsetp any day now...a
Fireworx and Reakor 5. I'll let you know how it goes. I think once I have
Reaktor and I load it and my other high end VST effects into MAX/MSP, I
will
have reached the top of Maslov's Triangle in terms of VST effect
actualization!  Basically, I'll be using MAX/MSP to run Reaktor 5, PSP84,
PSP42, Cycling 74 Pluggo AND Hipno, Antares Filter, Space Effect, and a
about 50 other free effects that do amazing things.

I have a hypothesis or two as to why hardware manufacturs aren't shaking
in
their boots: 1) Some of the smart ones are already creating VST or other
software based versions of their effects (Lexicon, Eventide, etc), so they
are planning ahead. That is the smart thing to do, based on changing
trends
in the marketplace. In fact, if you've noticed, many hardware effect
manufactures are creating hypbrid systems that plug into your computer
with
USB so that you can program them (Muse, Pod XT Pro, etc).  The transition
computers and software is occuring gradually.

2) Using VST effects for our precious sound systems is analogous to the
folks in the corporate world who made the transition to a paperless
environment. The old generation has a hard time elminiating the hardcopy
notes and printouts in their file systems...yet the new generation of
folks
are completely paperless. Are paper companies and printer companies
nervous?
Hell yes, which is why they keep innovating their products to do other
things besides print on paper. Hence, many companies haven't felt the hurt
yet because they are still relying on the sentiments and buying potential
of
an older generation of users. That will change inevitably.

3) It's all still reletivelly new, and no one has commoditized the
technology in a way that has occured with Windows, the PC or Mac brands,
Word processing software, finance software, etc. I think the technology
will
evolve to the point to where there are a few tried and true tested systems
that hit the sky in terms of mass marketability and trust. Once that
occurs,
the skeptics will jump on the band-wagon.

There are other possible explanations, of course.....I'd be interested in
hearing other hypothoses. In general, I am a technological evolutionist
when
it comes to this topic. If we take a look at the history of technological
innovation, these patterns and awkward transitions of moving from hard to
soft, manual to automated, fast to slow, etc, etc...pop up over and over
again. I see know reason why music technology should be ammune to this
historical trend. I think it not a matter o if, but when.

Kris