Re: Loop effects: Can software be as good as good hardware?

> I think you can get too close for comfort, Mark.  This is why I replaced
> my
> 15 space rack (which I had two years ago) with a laptop, and spend over
> $1000 on some really good VST effect software. . I've never owned an
> Eclipse, but I've owned other high end processors, and I can't tell a lot
> of
> differentce in the quality of effects between the hardware and software
> (with a good 24 bit audio interface). It is so close for me that I am
> mostly
> software now.

Some friends of mine just started a groove-jazz "organ" trio,
keys/guitar/drums. The guitarist has a mac G4 laptop, and he is running NI
Guitar Rig for all of his guitar sounds. And the keyboardist is running
NI's B4 hammond simulator, with other synth sounds coming from Reason. And
the drummer is triggering loops and samples from drum pads in Live. All on
the same laptop. THE SAME FREAKIN' LAPTOP. Essentially, after micing the
drums, they give the soundguy a stereo feed from the laptop. Having played
live in a band with 2 laptops onstage for the last couple of years, I
admire their cojones, that's a lot riding on one machine. They've played a
few shows already and it's working. But man, having had computers fail
onstage before, I don't know if I'd want to trust them that completely.

I think there's still a place for good analog hardware. I have yet to find
a software emulator that sounds as good as my minimoog, my MOTM modular,
my Space Echo and my Neve preamps. But, over the last few years, I have
gotten rid of my good digital reverbs and samplers, because Logic's Space
Designer and EXS 24, through good converters, sound as good to my ears,
and are about a million times easier to use in my studio.