Re: Loop effects: Can software be as good as good hardware?

On Jul 4, 2006, at 0:39, improv@peak.org wrote:

> But man, having had computers fail
> onstage before, I don't know if I'd want to trust them that
> completely.

This is the reason I have programmed some "looping patches" into my
FireworX (hardware fx processor) although I normally do all looping
on a laptop (running Mobius). I the computer should break I would be
able to keep up with my role in the group.... well, to some extent ;-)

> I think there's still a place for good analog hardware. I have yet
> to find
> a software emulator that sounds as good as my minimoog, my MOTM
> modular,
> my Space Echo and my Neve preamps. But, over the last few years, I
> have
> gotten rid of my good digital reverbs and samplers, because Logic's
> Space
> Designer and EXS 24, through good converters, sound as good to my
> ears,
> and are about a million times easier to use in my studio.

I too produce recordings with Logic and I couldn't have said it
better myself. Some records I did in the nineties (before I was able
to go full time into experimental looping music) was done with a huge
Neve console, all kinds of tube compressors etc and analog 24 tack
recorders. I still like that sound but I wouldn't say that it sounds
"better" than software. A Neve board sounds like a Never board,
that's it. Nuendo (software) sounds like Nuendo etc.

I think that most gear and software available today sounds good
enough. After all, it's the music that matters.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)