Re: MAX/msp question

Welcome on board Per,

Per Boysen wrote:
> Does these ambitions make sense with MAX/ MSP?

Yes

> One example is the MSP manual, page 227, "Variable delay time". The
> example delay patch with "tapin~" and "tapout~" is a typical patch I
> would use. But the fact that only milliseconds is used for time makes
> me uncomfortable. Have I missed out on some parts of the reference
> manuals?

This is something typical I guess, if you think in terms of "features"
of a program with a defined aim, like you have been probably used till
now. This would be a crucial demand for such a tool.
In Max its not, you just build an abstraction once to translate into
parameters a given object will ask for. You do it yourself, any way of
thinking is allowed and covered. Proprietary software is forced to
follow an average demand, in Max you follow your own demand...

Simple example: there is an object called metro, which will bang with a
constant speed. The time between bangs is set in milliseconds. (No BPM,
no percentage of a master beat no uncertainty factor or whatever...)

Now lets assume the way of your thinking is in BPM rather than in
milliseconds. The only thing you need to do, create your own "Per.metro"
which simply translates BPM into milliseconds and attaches it to the
original metro. It looks like metro, but uses BPM to define the speed.

In the future you just use Per.metro instead of metro. After you have
done it once, you do not need to deal with milliseconds anymore...

The manual/examples/help files will help you to solve such problems, you
need to learn to implement the features you are missing. There is a
learning curve, but its worth it. You get features no software supplier
would consider even thinking about...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------