Re: Indian classical music

RE>> The Derek Bailey book

Out of print? My local Borders has been stocking it; they have a couple of
copies there even as we speak.  I own a copy myself - it's well worth
checking out.  Interesting part is that the focus is *not* on jazz or blues
improvisation; there's a chapter on church organ improv, something I recall
listening to my grandfather practice as a young whippersnapper...

BTW, another book worth reading (this one's hot off the press) is Simon
Frith's "Performing Rites", which gives an impressively researched and
thought out account of the value system(s) that are brought to bear on
"pop"
(i.e., non-"high art") music by its practitioners, its audience, the media,
and the recording industry.  It is dense and thoroughly academic, but Frith
raises many issues worth pondering in terms of the relationships between
and
among: music - musician - audience - business.  More analysis, less
aphorisms
than, say, Robert Fripp's musings.  (Relationship to Fred Frith?  Dunno...)

--Kingsley