OT: developing musicians and a musical culture

>It begins by finding the right teacher for you.

I will chime in on this, from my perspective: in that I TOTALLY DISAGREE
WITH Will's COMMENTS here. story: when i was in grad school (MFA) for
art, a fellow student said that the only artists were those with MFA's.
we all laughed, BECAUSE THERE ARE A MILLION GREAT ARTISTS OUT THERE
NOW AND THROUGHOUT HISTORY who had no schooling, were entirely
self-taught, etc.
and then you could start to make the claim that a good number of successful
artists from the last 100 yrs or so, were "dropouts" who couldn't succeed
in the culture of "art schooling". the same argument can be applied to
music.

>Anyway, there is no substitute for the fundamentals. If you don't have a
>grasp of your scales and chords, you won't be able to move your fingers
to the proper place.

hmmm, i think my fingers move just fine, and its so much more fun finding
the improper places!

end of my 2 cents...
s---