Re: Stereo EDP -- some statistics and an opinion...

OK - this gets my dander up!  :-)  So....

Adopting Curmudgeonly Kirkdorffer Persona:

Stereo shmereo - what a paper tiger!! - a few thoughts:

1) all natural (as opposed to electrically enhanced) instruments are mono.
2) I'm guessing 80% of Looper-Delight readers are electric guitarists.
(Kim?
Anyone?)
3) Electric guitars, bases, violins, tubas, bazookis, kazoos,  and voice
are
all mono.
4) If you're creating a stereo field with your instrument, you're likely
going through a few pieces of gear to artificially create that field --
OR -- you're playing some kind of (somewhat) more upscale or esoteric
electronic instrument -- a groovebox or keyboard/synthesizer for example.
5) If it's been important to you to buy the tools to create the stereo
field -- you've decided it's worth spending the money to get to stereo --
cool.  And you have a stereo amp, and two monitors.
6) If you can afford stereo-enabling devices -- you probably have more than
one of them.
7) If you can afford to invest in stereo devices, can afford two monitors
and have a stereo amp, you are probably a lot closer to affording a second
EDP than you're letting on.

F  A  C  T  - 1:  Here are stats from that big EDP "restart" order I helped
organize with Gibson at the end of 1999.

    89% wanted 1 EDP
     9% wanted 2 EDP's
     2% wanted 3 EDP's

F  A  C  T  - 2:  From a Looping Device Market Penetration and Demand study
I did in in 1997, 46% of EDP owners at the time indicated they would buy
another EDP if priced at $700 +/- 10%.  (If you want a copy of this report,
let me know).

It seems if you need a stereo edp, here are your basic options:

    1) Present an economic case to Gibson for them to build it
    2) Design one yourself and build it -- if you think there's sustaining
market demand for it, set up shop and make more.
    3) Buy a second unit: $649.99 from Alto Music.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2553271953&category=621
    4) Buy a used unit when they come for sale -- and they do!

I chose option 3.  For me, it was clearly the cheapest, most effective and
quickest way to get what I needed.

Exiting Curmudgeonly Kirkdorffer Persona.

:-)