Re: Currently available looper music webpage

Hi Greg-
Updating the profiles section of LD is a pretty big priority for me. Chris
Chovit was great in designing the original version, but that was over 6
years ago and he has not been available for doing updates since. There
have
been many features discussed here over the years that we want to add. I've
tried many many times to get him or somebody else to help out with a new
version, without luck. Finally Doug came along a few months ago and it
seemed like we might finally get somewhere. It slowed down a lot though
because I was too busy at the time to keep up with it. At the moment I
have
time for it, so this is a good point to finally do this! I'm glad that you
are interested in helping and motivated about this project.

Some key initial points:
- I'm going to require that the current profile data be maintained. It is
fine to remove the completely dead entries, but there is too much good
stuff there to throw it away. It takes a long time to build something like
that. Many people like having their entries on the page, even if they
haven't been around the list for years or have never been on the list at
all. They still come back to the profiles and update them once in a while.
I don't want to lose that data. Asking on the list for people to send you
info will only get a tiny fraction of the LD community to respond.

- It's great if you and Doug can help out with administering the section.
In the end though, I know from hard experience that I am the one who will
likely be maintaining it. So the management aspects of the page have to be
something that works for me. Among those: there cannot be human
intervention required for people to create their entries and make updates.
That has to be something people do themselves. The administration aspect
should be a higher level of fixing occasional problems or some maintenance
here and there.

anyway, I'll look at some of the other mails and try to put some other
ideas into it later on today.

kim