Re: New here and looking for a looping device

Welcome, Janosch
I thought there was a topic on this I could direct you to at the loopers delight site, but I can’t find it, so here’s a brief over-simplified run-down on an essential point you probably already understand, but just in case:

Loopers VS. Delays

Some devices, like the EDP, Boomerang, and the Boss Loop Station (and up-coming RC-50) are dedicated loopers: You set the loop time on the fly, with foot-switches, so that you set them running with a click, then decide when you’ve recorded enough with another click, which also starts playback from the beginning. There aren’t many of these devices to pick from.
Most other ”looping” devices are actually long delay lines: they are always looping and the loop length is equal to the delay time; you can’t reset this while you’re recording. Sounds like all the devices you’ve used so far are delays.
I also started with long delay devices, using a volume pedal in front for over-dubs and the feedback controls to replace/fade out; whatever delay time you set (usually the maximum), you get very good at playing to fit...and you also tend to make this the default loop-length for everything you create. When I got an EDP—a looper, not a delay—my looping experience changed significantly, simply because I could for all practical purposes record as long or as little as I wanted before deciding to start playback. It was sort of like losing a pulse and gaining spontaneity: no more anticipating the end of the delay time looming up ahead, or wishing it was longer or shorter. It’s nice, of course, to have both types of tool at your disposal; if you can only have one, you should certainly try them both before you settle. Good hunting!

dc