Re: keeping loops interesting

>> My ears always perk up when someone mentions Fractals (or any other
>> related
>> math stuff.) Could you elaborate a bit on this?  Fractal in what way?
>
> If you have a tap delay with 8 taps and 8 possibilities to feedback (as
> do), you can easily create fractal like rythmic structures by
>controlling
> the feedbacks. For example, imagine a 4 bar delay, if you create a
> feedback at the end of the bar, it will repeat 4 bars as a loop... but
>if
> you now create a feedback which is one 8th shorter, you will get a
> syncopic more complex rythmical structure. Now play with different ways
>of
> feeding back at different times... It will result in fractal like
>complex
> textures...

Ah, I get it.  Interesting idea.   It'd be interesting to hear what
happens
if you have 8 feedback loops, each one 1/8th shorter.  Or if you could
have
the feedback loop shorten by 1/8th each time til it was 0, then increase
back to the full feedback.. and around and around...

> Graphical fractals are mostly feedback structures to create complexity
>out
> of very simple basic rules...

Yeah, like the Mandlebrot set.  I spent a lot of computer lab time writing
and running those.  Good fun.

Tony