Re: Mobius scripts audio examples

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Keith Smith <kahsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

> However I do have one of those nice little (cheap) Yamaha Pacifica
> Tele copies laying around that just might lose its frets sometime.

Tellies are no good for fretless, since it is hard to plane the
fingerboard well due to its curved character. A better option would be
to find a cheap baritone guitar. Or even better, buying a replacement
baritone neck from Schekter. I've tried that but those damned
manufacturers want to put in the frets right on.

> I've had it tuned in 5ths since you started writing about the 'stick',

After a year with a STick I'm finding six 5ths mirrored strings is
very complementary to six 4ths strings.

> --EDP + Repeater has some interesting
> possibilities.

Yes, I had those and that rig led me to Mobius. Still running Mobius
scripts that started as MIDI tap dancing for the Repeater ;-))

> My biggest problem with this stuff is getting a chance to play it with
> somebody (or keeping the inspiration up to play a lot by myself). I'm
> pretty type-cast as a 'standards jazz guy' around here. The solo gigs
> I get offered are *very* inside.

Hook up with some "extreme soloist jazz" guy! When looping it becomes
such an inspiring thing to simply provide a steady stream of backing
chords for a monophonic cat to climb around. To both loop and handle
the lead/melody function can indeed be a bit overwhelming for one
single musician - funnily that was the reason I got into Stick
playing; to get away from the need for looping and be able to do more
instant bass-chords-melody instant impro in a solo concert setup.

Per