RE: ANOTHER live looping with canned loops... was: RLive Looping without "organic" instruments....

> Anders Bergdahl wrote:
>
> > When these
> > sequences are played back there is NO difference between looping the
> > patterns i recorded and recordign the audio output and lopp that.. so
> > live sequening is = live looping ..
>
> That's presumably something you feel strongly about.
>
> How about you set out that argument out a bit more fully
> so that someone without any background knowledge of
> what you're trying to prove could understand it.
>

> andy

Well I don't feel strongly about it all all, it just strikes me that the type of result and the creative process is very much the same with these two types of hardware/software. It is, to me, really no difference if the loop captures audio or audio manipulations. When i record my audio manipulations and play it back it will sound 100% the same as if i would have re sampled the audio output. The main difference is that i can tweak my sequence to achieve development over time whereas i would need to manipulate the recorded loop if i re sample. So the type of manipulation might differ and set limitations that might get the creative process in one or another direction.
What a sampler like Octatack can do is to live record a sample  and instantly play it back, live manipulate the playback of the sample while it loops and live re sample the manipulated audio. It is sort of an extension to what LP1 or EDP can do, but there are, as I fell similar except that if you manipulate the loop the original audio is lost.
The other thing is that a sampler is an instrument as much as A digital synth is an instrument and loopers are instruments.. so manipulating samples is playing is playing and instrument and you can be more or less creative in the use of the instrument. Since many hear are very creative persons i would be fun to hear how they would use new instrument with, or without, there favorite looping instrument.
Playing an instrument where you don't think in scales, modes and chords could, or should, produce some interesting newish type of music in the hand of creative people. I feel that samplers have more to offer that producing rhythmic dance music, and 99% of the music that is produced with samplers and sequencers is frankly quite predictable and boring but there are exceptions, Jan bang is one that i really like....

Take care,

Anders