Re: Looking for a "swell plugin" - (audio amplitude triggered level attack envelope)

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Phil Clevenger
<phil.clevenger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Really love to hear about your results with N2O when you have some
> mileage with it :)

Hi Phil,

I already have some mileages with do N2O, since I've been using it
since it's first release. PSP put up some info videos here:
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/multimode_effects/psp_n2o/psp_n2o_video/

I tried to build a virtual swell pedal with N2O but wasn't successful.
A similar function can be achieved with a lo pass filter though, if
setting the attack to around 600 milliseconds and full sustain. But
that can be done too with any filter plugin, like Logic's/Mainstage's
own Autofilter or SoundToys' FilterFreak 1. Tonight I saved "Swell"
presets for both of these, but opening a low pass filter from zero is
not exactly sounding as a doing it with a pure level control.

The best virtual swell pedal I know is in Amplitube 3, as I said
before. It has the option to set the fade-in attack envelope time
range to follow the host's tempo and I usually use it an eighth note
or a quarter note. Unfortunately the plugin can not be trusted for
stability. Second best virtual swell pedal I know needs to run under
Ableton Live, since it is a combination of Max for Live envelop follow
device listening to your audio input and controlling the gain
parameter in a utility plugin (standard Live plugin). Worst virtual
swell pedal I've mocked-up is the Logic's/Mainstage's plugin
Enveloper. It is bad because it doesn't allow a volume sweep from
zero, as it is rather a tool for shaping the attack of transients in a
rhythmic material.

Per