Re: Sheer Volume on this List

Hi,

On Jul 26, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Buzap Buzap wrote:

I think some folks ..are overwhelmed by the
sheer volume of communication that happens on this list.

As has recently been discussed, the list has been around for very nearly
10 years. While the volume was lower in the very beginning, it soon ramped
up as more folks joined. It's always been a problem. The key is to be
selective. YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ EVERYTHING. It's really OK
to not read everything and just chuck everything else in the dumpster.

If you find out later that you've missed out on some cool topic because
the title seemed uninteresting at the time (or, as often happens, was
totally misleading initially), never fear. There is always the LD archives.
You can catch up on old threads there easily enough.

When I first joined it was the only list I belonged to. I was a "noob" in
October of '96 and didn't know it was OK to not slavishly read everyone's
posts. It didn't take me long to learn the practical ins and outs of list
behavior and etiquette though . . . and to stop feeling like I had to
read everything.

I think all of us still need reminders from time to time that it reallly helps
to label your message correctly too . . . and if the thread content changes
and morphs into something else, indicate clearly that that is the case
by re-labeling it with something like: "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH (WAS RE:
YADDA, YADDA, YADDAH)" and let a new thread proceed from there.

It'll make it easier to locate important topics in the archives too if they're
named correctly too.

I probably don't read 25% of the LD list's posting any more. But occasionally
I find I've missed something pretty good because the initial post and subsequent
exchanges were all titled something dopey that had little to do with the content
of interest. In the interest of everyone . . . I offer a plea for titling your posts
accurately in regards to content.

End of "old guy" rant.

Peace,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314

http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_profile&id=121197000042

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???