Re: Ebay (Was Re: Selecting vendors)

The DX200 sequencer is very limited - only 12 or 16 steps. But it's easy
to use and convenient to set up e.g. percussion parts. It also has a
"free envelope" which lets you record knob movements into the sequencer
(up to 8 measures long). 16 voice polyphony.
Personally I don't believe in workstations, I would rather optimize each
component.
If you want a sequencer for composition, software is the way to go. If
you want a hardware sequencer for performance, look into the Emu XL-7 or
Yamaha RM1x.
The motif doesn't look like it has much of an interface for editing or
manipulating sequences.
If all you want to do is record and play back, it's probably fine.

My philosophy on buying computers is the same as for synths - you are
much better off with 1-2 yr old technology for half the price,
especially if you're not sure that you need any of the "bells and
whistles." Once you've used it for a while and know better exactly what
you want, by then you can get it for the lower prices (and you won't
have to pay for things it turns out you didn't need). Plus you can sell
your old gear for close to what you paid. The latest stuff will
depreciate much more rapidly. Well, I guess it's a good thing for the
vendors that not everyone follows this approach! They rely on people
being enticed by the newest.
Re-read this quote from your last post:
 >> it's often a good idea to buy more than you need at the time of
purchase, since a year or two down the road it'll be obsolete anyway

I urge you to reconsider this logic!

One other thing. When it comes to synths (and other technologies too I'm
sure), It's often better to start with something simple and put your
energy into developing a sense of how you want to use it.
Too many features can be a creative distraction (as has been discussed
in another thread). As you learn more, you may want to go in a different
direction, which will be much easier if you haven't already invested in
an all-in-one solution.